Settled in 1716, Nacogdoches claims to be the oldest
town in Texas. It was then that Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de
los Nacogdoches was established as one of a series of Spanish
missions in the area. The mission and the town were named for
the Nacogdoches Indians, who originally inhabited the area.
The missions were abandoned for several decades with the threat
of a French invasion of the area. It was reestablished in 1779
by Gil Antonio Ibarvo, and became important as a trading stop
between the east and settlements in Spanish Texas. Ibarvo first
built the Old Stone Fort, which still stands today.
Nacogdoches was the second largest town in Texas in 1800. Located
on the Old San Antonio Road, Nacogdoches continued to be an important
crossroads throughout the early development of Texas. It was the
first stop for many American emigrants to Texas before and during
the period of the Texas republic.
Note: A Cybertour of Nacogdoches
historic sites and old homes can be accessed via the internet.