Carved out of a portion of the Austin colony grant
of Richardson Harris, the town of Harrisburg was laid out in 1826.
Located on Buffalo Bayou near present day Houston, it became an
important trading center before the Texas Revolution.
Before it was burned by Santa Anna a few days before the Battle
of San Jacinto, the town was used as a temporary capital for the
Ad Interim government of the Republic of Texas.
The town was rebuilt after the revolution. However, the town of
Houston, a few miles up the Buffalo Bayou, was laid out soon after
the Battle of San Jacinto and became capital of the Republic from
the Spring of 1837 until November of 1839.