One of the earliest settlements in inland Texas,
Bastrop was located at the intersection of the Colorado River
and the Old San Antonio Road. The settlement, originally called
Mina, was first settled in the late 1820's.
Soon after the Revolution, the town was incorporated. Its name
was changed to Bastrop, in honor of Baron de Bastrop, an official
of the Mexican government credited with aiding Moses and Stephen
Austin in securing land grants and enabling the colonization of
Texas before the Revolution.
Copyright © 1995 Lone Star Junction