Perhaps best known as the location of the Battle of Gonzales which started the Texas Revolution, the town of Gonzales was first settled in 1825 as the capital of the colony of Green DeWitt.
The town was burned that same year, then rebuilt in 1827. It was burned again in the wake of the evacuation of the Texas army in 1836, but again rebuilt. It survives today as one of Texas' historic communities.
Copyright © 1995 Lone Star Junction