At the site of an Indian village named Santa Dorota,
a Spanish mission and presidio were first established at present
day Goliad in 1749. Known as La Bahia in the early 1800s, the
town was renamed Goliad in 1829.
After the Battle of Gonzales, the presidio at Goliad was captured
in 1835 by the Texans under George Collinsworth and Ben Milam.
James Fannin, who occupied the presidio in the spring of 1836,
evacuated the post on order of Sam Houston. However, Fannin and
his men were afterward captured and returned as prisoners to the
presidio. Under order of Santa Anna, Fannin and most of his men
were executed nearby in an event considered one of the major atrocities
of the war with Mexico.
Copyright © 1995 Lone Star Junction